Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

USDA's Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) regulates the importation of plants and plant products under the authority of the Plant Protection Act. PPQ maintains its import program to safeguard U.S. agriculture and natural resources from the risks associated with the entry, establishment, or spread of animal and plant pests and noxious weeds.

Permits are required for the importation, transit, domestic movement, including interstate, and environmental release of Organisms into the United States.


I want to import a plant or plant product. What do I do?

For the plant and plant products that you plan to import there are certain criteria that must be followed. You can find out more about the different types of permits based on the commodity/commodities you intend to import into the USA.

I have done everything I know to do, but can you tell me more of this process?

To import into the United States your commodity must ultimately go through Customs and Border Protection.

If you have all your paperwork in order and know that you can meet all import conditions listed on your permit; then you shouldn't have to do anything else once you have completed your portion of the transaction but wait for your commodity to arrive.

However, below is an option you may want to consider once you get all paperwork together, are ready to import your commodity, but are unsure of the import conditions listed on your permit!

  • For all commodities that you plan to import but are unsure of the import conditions listed in your permit: It is best to contact and ask for an Agriculture Specialist at the port your commodity would be entering into. The Agriculture Specialists work under the umbrella of Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
  • To find the port you can start with the Locate A Port Of Entry page on the CBP website. Click on the map or the drop down list to select the state the commodity would be potentially coming into from the foreign country. Again, if you know the exact port you are shipping to in the U.S.A. it is best to contact the Agricultural Specialist at that port.